The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center is pleased to announce details around the 2019 Lavender Graduation Recognition Ceremony. This is an annual event sponsored by the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center that recognizes exceptional service, leadership, and activism on behalf of the LGBTQIA+ community. Awards will honor graduating Seniors and Faculty/Staff members for their outstanding contributions to diversity and inclusion at SUNY Oneonta. This year’s event will be on Sunday, April 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Hunt Union Ballroom.
Students, faculty and staff members are invited to cast nominations for awards, and those planning to attend will need to RSVP. RSVP and nomination forms and details are available on the GSRC website at http://tinyurl.com/GSRClavgrad.
Please see below on award details. Nominations are due by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5.
LGBTQIA SERVICE AND ACTIVISM AWARD
Recognizes a senior and member of the LGBTQIA+ community for:
- Extraordinary service and outstanding leadership to support and build the LGBTQIA+ campus community and to promote LGBTQIA issues and awareness at SUNY Oneonta;
- Commitment and outstanding contribution to raising awareness and being an activist and voice for change;
- Contribution to and involvement in SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ life and enduring commitment to building community and educating the campus about LGBTQIA+ issues; OR
- Tremendous effort to serve the LGBTQIA+ community through building coalitions across groups at SUNY Oneonta.
Recognizes a senior for their important contributions as a (heterosexual and cisgender) friend and ally of the LGBTQIA+ community. Honorees may have:
- Been an active member of the SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ community;
- Helped with special projects;
- Raised awareness and participated in activism; OR
- Provided both a safe space and a voice for LGBTQIA+ issues at SUNY Oneonta.
Recognizes student excellence and commitment in building connections between the LGBTQIA+ community and broader student life.
- Examples of building connections may include:
- Program/Event planning
- Speaking on LGBTQIA+ issues at events
- Educational engagement on campus (in classroom, research, etc.)
- Social engagement on campus (student organization involvement, leadership roles, etc.)
- Community service
- Connections of broader student life may include:
- Academic Departments
- Residential Community Life
- Greek Life
- Student Association
- Office of Equity and Inclusion
- New Student Services
- Off-Campus organizations
Recognizes a faculty or staff member for outstanding dedication, service, and leadership to the LGBTQIA+ students and SUNY Oneonta campus community in the following ways:
- Being an active member of SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ community
- Providing a safe space for LGBTQIA+ student issues at SUNY Oneonta
- Outstanding contribution to raising awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues in educational initiatives (i.e. in the classroom, in programming efforts, etc.).
Any questions can be directed to Emily Phelps via Emily.Phelps@oneonta.edu.