Tim Newton, Music, is in London over spring break performing Hector Berlioz’s Requiem mass with the Philharmonia Chorus and Orchestra and London Philharmonic Choir. Warner Classics is said to be recording the performance for release on their classical music label.
Medici TV will live-stream the performance Friday on their website at 2:30 p.m. EST. Ten timpanists, four off-stage bands, huge orchestra and 180 singers! All conducted by the American Grammy-Award-winning Berlioz expert John Nelson.
SUNY Oneonta seniors James Bethel and Tyler O’Bryant will be competing this weekend at their respective NCAA Division III championships. James will be competing at the wrestling championships in Roanoke, VA and Tyler will be competing in Boston, MA at the track & field championships.
Both athletes are returning to the NCAA championships after earning All-American honors a year ago. James was the runner-up at 285 lbs. and Tyler was fourth in the 60-meter dash.
The athletics department is excited for both student athletes, and we wish them well this weekend. We hope that you will join us in following both James and Tyler in their quest for national titles. This link will bring you to an information page where you can access links to live results and video during the two days of competition.
The athletics department will also be updating its Facebook page (OneontaRedDragonSports) and Twitter page (@RedDragonSports) during the two days as information becomes available. The direct links can be found on the information page.
We thank you for your support and GO Red Dragons!
The Gender and Sexuality Resource Center is pleased to announce details around the 2019 Lavender Graduation Recognition Ceremony. This is an annual event sponsored by the Gender and Sexuality Resource Center that recognizes exceptional service, leadership, and activism on behalf of the LGBTQIA+ community. Awards will honor graduating Seniors and Faculty/Staff members for their outstanding contributions to diversity and inclusion at SUNY Oneonta. This year’s event will be on Sunday, April 28 from 2 to 4 p.m. in the Hunt Union Ballroom.
Students, faculty and staff members are invited to cast nominations for awards, and those planning to attend will need to RSVP. RSVP and nomination forms and details are available on the GSRC website at http://tinyurl.com/GSRClavgrad.
Please see below on award details. Nominations are due by 12:00 p.m. on Friday, April 5.
LGBTQIA SERVICE AND ACTIVISM AWARD
Recognizes a senior and member of the LGBTQIA+ community for:
- Extraordinary service and outstanding leadership to support and build the LGBTQIA+ campus community and to promote LGBTQIA issues and awareness at SUNY Oneonta;
- Commitment and outstanding contribution to raising awareness and being an activist and voice for change;
- Contribution to and involvement in SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ life and enduring commitment to building community and educating the campus about LGBTQIA+ issues; OR
- Tremendous effort to serve the LGBTQIA+ community through building coalitions across groups at SUNY Oneonta.
Recognizes a senior for their important contributions as a (heterosexual and cisgender) friend and ally of the LGBTQIA+ community. Honorees may have:
- Been an active member of the SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ community;
- Helped with special projects;
- Raised awareness and participated in activism; OR
- Provided both a safe space and a voice for LGBTQIA+ issues at SUNY Oneonta.
Recognizes student excellence and commitment in building connections between the LGBTQIA+ community and broader student life.
- Examples of building connections may include:
- Program/Event planning
- Speaking on LGBTQIA+ issues at events
- Educational engagement on campus (in classroom, research, etc.)
- Social engagement on campus (student organization involvement, leadership roles, etc.)
- Community service
- Connections of broader student life may include:
- Academic Departments
- Residential Community Life
- Greek Life
- Student Association
- Office of Equity and Inclusion
- New Student Services
- Off-Campus organizations
Recognizes a faculty or staff member for outstanding dedication, service, and leadership to the LGBTQIA+ students and SUNY Oneonta campus community in the following ways:
- Being an active member of SUNY Oneonta LGBTQIA+ community
- Providing a safe space for LGBTQIA+ student issues at SUNY Oneonta
- Outstanding contribution to raising awareness of LGBTQIA+ issues in educational initiatives (i.e. in the classroom, in programming efforts, etc.).
Any questions can be directed to Emily Phelps via Emily.Phelps@oneonta.edu.