Human Ecology gallery to feature designs by new professor, Jody Aultman

The design work of Dr. Jody Aultman — a new professor in the Human Ecology discipline of Fashion and Textiles — will be on display in the Barbara Weigand Gallery in SUNY Oneonta’s Human Ecology building Thursday, February 7 from 4:30 – 6:00 p.m. The title of the exhibit is “Creative Scholarship Through the Years.”

Aultman’s showcased designs consist of a mixture of quilts and garments. The quilts displayed have all been viewed in other venues throughout her career. The garments on display have also been viewed in other venues. This display is Aultman’s second solo gallery presentation of her work, with many more garments than she had before.

There are 17 quilts of various sizes on display, all of which are Aultman’s own designs and created with her signature of using very bright colors (some of which are hand dyed) and contrasting with black. Stained glass techniques are used on some. Piecing and applique are techniques used most by the artist.

The garments that are on display are a mix of commercial fabrics and digital printed fabric created by the artist. The garment designs were also newly created. A total of nine garments are on display.

aultmangalleryopening

Bio by Jody Aultman

“I grew up in a small town in Northern Iowa where I lived most of my life. I come from a creative family which has helped me discover my own talents. My mother and grandmother both spent a great deal of time sewing and made most of our clothing as small children. My grandmother was also a beautiful quilter, as well as a crafter. I would spend many of my adolescent days with my grandmother creating all kinds of different projects. We had a lot of fun and it has given me many great memories.

I decided in my middle 20s that I would like to go back to school and get my degree. I got my AA degree from NIACC in Mason City, IA and then went on to the UNI in Cedar Falls, IA. I was studying business and it was not a good fit. I moved back home to Mason City to be with my family where I worked an assortment of retail positions.

Many years later, I met my husband who comes from a very well-educated family. He kept encouraging me to complete at least my bachelor’s degree. We were living in St. Paul, MN at the time so I started looking at colleges in the area. I found a program at Augsburg University in Studio Art that intrigued me. I started there in their Adult Weekend Program in March of 2008 and graduated in December 2009. I decided on the arts based on my creative background and my love of fibers.

We had a life changing event of my husband losing his job and needed to decide what to do. He wanted to return to school, (he wanted to be a chef) DMACC has a wonderful culinary program so that is what led us to Ames, IA. I decided to start working on my master’s degree in interdisciplinary studies at ISU. My areas of study were: Studio Art, Art History, and Textiles and Clothing. After graduating with my MS, I decided to stay at ISU and work on my PhD in Apparel, Merchandising, and Design. I graduated from that program in May of 2017.

I applied for many teaching positions after graduation and I received an offer last August (2018) to start teaching in the Fashion and Textiles Department at SUNY Oneonta. This has been a highlight for me as I love teaching and working with students. Last fall, I taught Fashion Illustration, Social Psychological Aspects of Dress, and Advanced Computer Design using OptiTex CAD Pattern Making Software recently purchased by the university. The spring semester I will be teaching Social Psychological Aspects of Dress, Fashion Illustration, and Flat Pattern Making, along with an Independent study in Fiber Arts with 2 students and a community project with a local care center.

Although I had been quilting for many years, my quilting obsession started in the year 2004 when I wanted to enter my first quilt contest. Knowing that you need permission from pattern makers, I decided to take the next step and design my own patterns for my quilts. “Ren’s Bird of Paradise” was the first quilt and it traveled with Hoffman Challenge quilts in a trunk show around the country for one year. This gave me encouragement and my fiber arts career had begun. I have created many quilts and garments which are on display in this show.

As I begin my teaching career, I continue working on my love of fiber arts. I am an avid quilter and garment maker and will continue to study different surface design techniques on fabric to create different effects. I am honored to present my body of work in the Barbara Weigand Gallery.”