Kayla Clohessy selected as Delores Bogard Award recipient from the SUNYAC

The State University of New York Athletic Conference announced in late June that recent SUNY Oneonta graduate Kayla Clohessy is this year’s recipient of the Dr. Delores Bogard Award recognizing a cumulative academic and athletic career while a student athlete in the conference. Clohessy becomes the fourth woman in school history to receive this prestigious honor and the first since 2006 when Hall of Famer Adrienne Jackson-Buckner was chosen.

“It’s such an honor to receive the Dr. Delores Bogard award,” said Clohessy. “Four years ago, as a freshman I never thought that I would be able to achieve what I have as a student athlete at SUNY Oneonta. As a recent graduate, I have quickly learned how special the athletic department is and how the relationships I built with my coaches, staff, teammates and professors helped to shape the person I am today. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to be a part of SUNY Oneonta’s track and field team and I will cherish the memories, friendships, and accomplishments forever.”

The award is named after Dr. Dolores Bogard, who was an administrator and coach at SUNY Cortland for over twenty years. She served as SUNYAC President during the 1987-88 year.

The Bogard Award is given annually to a senior athlete who exemplifies the best combination of academic and athletic ability as voted upon by the membership body. In addition to needing to be a senior, the nominee must show evidence of outstanding academic and athletic achievement while having a cumulative GPA of 3.30 through the spring semester.

“Kayla has always shown a strong commitment to both academics and athletics since she first arrived here at Oneonta,” said her coach, Chris Wilber. “Her accomplishments in the classroom and as a school record holder, conference champion, and All-American, demonstrate her desire for success. We are proud of her and thankful that we were able to support her during her time here at Oneonta.”

Clohessy graduated in May with a degree in Fashion and Textiles while achieving a 3.52 GPA for her four years. Her academic and athletic accolades are numerous and include the following:

Women’s Outdoor Track & Field Team MVP in 2016 & 2018

Three-time NCAA Division III All-American (Long Jump)

Five-Time NCAA Qualifier

SUNYAC Indoor Long Jump Champion, 2016

ECAC Outdoor Long Jump Champion, 2016

Six-Time All-Conference

Six-Time SUNYAC Medalist (top 3)

Indoor and Outdoor Long Jump School Record Holder

Inducted into Chi Alpha Sigma National Athlete Honor Society

SUNYAC All-Academic Team & Commissioner’s List

Dr. Joseph Heissan ’63 Senior Achievement Award