Two open education resources are now available to the SUNY community free of charge: SUNY Professional Skills: Career Launch for All Majors and SUNY Professional Skills: Career Launch for Engineers.
Online you will find a description of the courses, how to use them, and their accompanying texts. Both career launch courses were developed through a multi-campus collaboration among Binghamton University, Cornell University, SUNY Oswego, and University at Buffalo. While initial course efforts focused on engineering and technology majors, additional funding from the Carnegie Corporation of New York provided the means to develop a parallel non-technical online course with content to support all students in obtaining employment and launching their careers. Please note there are 2 courses: one that is appropriate for all majors one that is meant for Engineering and STEM Students. Both courses are comprised of seven modules (see description attached) that encompass a flexible curriculum designed to develop:
- Job search and career launch skills for internships, co-ops, and entry level jobs;
- critical thinkers with strategic and professional success skills;
- communication, interpersonal and team skills;
- workplace-ready interactive skills through self-paced online instruction, assessment, assignments and evaluation.
One option for sharing this material, in part or full, is by inviting students to view it on the SUNY-hosted site. Another option is to download the course content and following campus-level policies for hosting and teaching the course(s). If you are interested in receiving the course content please submit a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Course Content for SUNY Professional Skills Career Launch- All Majors: https://bbsupport.sln.suny.edu/bbcswebdav/xid-530904_1 (Zip File). This file contains all of the information in the course.
- Course Content for SUNY Professional Skills Career Launch- Engineers: https://bbsupport.sln.suny.edu/bbcswebdav/xid-530905_1
If you have any questions or would like access please contact Elise Newkirk-Kotfila, Director if Applied Learning at email@example.com.